Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Bob ***** ***** I have an 04 pete with an acert engine is

Customer Question

Customer: bob ***** ***** I have an 04 pete with an acert engine is there problems with this model acert compared to newer ones ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: have found some oil in the water filter this truck is new to me and don't have any motor history
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $54) to post your type of question to Heavy Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.

Can you get me the engine serial number please? If it's a C15 the serial number should start with BXS, MXS, or NXS.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bxs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bxs12258
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information.

Actually the BXS has less issues that the later models. Cat changed the Iva and rocker arm assembly on the later engines MXS and NXS. These engines suffered rocker arm bolt failures. But the BXS has the more sturdy setup and has no bolt failures on the top end.

The biggest issue with these engines when they cam out were the water pump shaft breaking. Cat redesigned the water pump to remedy the problem. The BXS is a great engine.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.