Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I did an oil change about 35k miles ago and found metal

Customer Question

I did an oil change about 35k miles ago and found metal shavings.fine iron like shavings,what looked like a piece of a gear tooth and a metal piece about an inch long and the thickness of a sheet metal screw.the latest oil change two weeks ago had no metal and the oil analysis showed nothing out of the ordinary.ive pulled the accessory drive out and looked at a segment of the bull gear and it looks fine.its not loose.i pulled the valve cover off the Detroit 60 series 11.1 and turned the engine over by hand and all the lobs look good as do the cam followers.heres the problem at 600 rpms I'm getting a lot of vibration.when it starts at 800 seems fine but when it drops to 600 it gets bad.i had an engine cut out test done and no difference was felt.any ideas?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 10 months ago.

Hi Andy, My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. Be sure to cut the top odd the oil filter and inspect a filter media sample after squeezing the excess oil out in a vise. I recommend dropping the oil pan and inspecting the rod and main bearings as well as the crankshaft journals for damage. If all looks good it is possible that piece was a casting from the block. Let me know

Cut the top off I meant... Sorry for the typo

Hi, Did you get this resolved?