Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

A 14 litre detroit pushing water out of the reservoir. Had a

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** and a 14 litre detroit pushing water out of the reservoir. Had a clogged up return line and replaced it 10 days ago and no more problems until today
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: had a clogged up return line from reservoir to thermostat housing replaced it and its been fine for 10 days and today it started pushing water out again
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Medium and Heavy Trucks Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
replaced thermostats today also
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Check the EGR cooler for any fluid in the gas side of the system. If you see any white color, the EGR cooler is leaking and pushing the fluid out of the reservoir.

Only 3 things cause coolant to push out besides overheating. Blown head gasket, leaking air compressor seal, and EGR cooler.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it were a head gasket,head or liner would it have quit for 10 days and started back today
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Head gasket would be rushing water out.

EGR cooler would do what you described as well as the air compressor. However, the air compressor usually spits water each time the unloader valve opens. The EGR can be very intermittent like that or push water all the time. It depends on how hard the truck is worked that particular time. I;ve had coolers leak 1 time then not leak again for several months then do it again for several months. There is a seal in between the fins and when the pressure is right, it will push coolant for the day, then the truck will cool and the seal will close back off. They can be weird because of how they are designed inside them and how the core is sealed inside the large canister it rests in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
head or head gasket wouldn't have stopped for 10 days or so and started back?? where would you begin looking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we put a couple of gallons in today over 12 hr period. maybe not quite 2 but close
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

No, head gasket would push the coolant all the time when the engine is hot do to the amount of compression in the engine.

An EGR would take so many days in between because the collant can be at 13-15 psi and the gases off the EGR will be only between 10-12 psi, unless you are pulling a hill for example in which the EGR will get higher PSI and then push the coolant out.

Remove the gas tube off the EGR cooler or the intake rubber on the driver side where the EGR pipe and the intake come together. See if there are any white spots. If so, then have the EGR cooler pressure tested.

You can also pressure test the cooling system, remove the gas lin on the EGR, and you can see coolant in it when you flash a flashlight into it.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?