cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

2009 STERLING 6.7 ISB IT'S OVER FUELING HEAVY BLACK SMOKE 30

Customer Question

2009 STERLING 6.7 ISB IT'S OVER FUELING HEAVY BLACK SMOKE 30 SEC AFTER START UP THE SHOP REPLACE INJECTORS TURBO EXHAUST FILTER & ECM IT'S STILL DOING THE SAME THING TRUCK IDLES FINE ITS NOT MISSING FAINT BLACK SMOKE AT IDLE IT WILL REV UP FINE WITH IN THE 30 SEC START UP BUT GO'S INTO A LIMP MODE NO POWER WILL NOT REV UP IT GO'S RIGHT BACK TO THE SAME THING TRUCK DOESN'T HAVE ANY CODES TECH SAID ALL PARAMETERS LOOK GOOD AND
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Is the tech using Cummins Insite to read the faults. If the engine goes into derate mode there will be faults present. Was the air filter checked? Is this tech checking the smoke with the exhaust pipe disconnected from the turbo ? Were any test done o isolate the smoke to a cylinder?

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Just following up Please don't forget to rate my service

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It acts like a limp mode but isn't in a limp mode there are no codes it's over fueling so much
It will not rev up it has a new air filter it runs the same with the exhaust unhook at the turbo or before the exhaust filter I'll call the tech and see if he isolated every cylinder to see if there was a difference
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Ok the only way to isolate the cylinder is with Cylinder cut out test within the ECM,. It is best to run the engine with the exhaust pipe off the back of the turbo. If you still cannot isolate the cylinder, the exhaust manifold can be pulled back ato see the smoking cylinder(s)

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate my service.

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Any luck in troubleshooting?Please don't forget to rate my service.