Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

Owner of 2009 Fl Cascadia dd15. Receiving error code stating

Customer Question

Owner of 2009 Fl Cascadia dd15.
Receiving error code stating dpf out of range low (spn003556) accompanied by 128s382 01 which I understand had to do with the cpu internal battery or something to that nature.
Last year in the winter I had the same error codes. Long story short... Fl replaced dpf, dpf temp sensor, air throttle valve... $6000 later, it turned out to be the dozer fuel line was clogged.
This winter: same code appears after a year of working. Personally been through and replaced the dozer line, dozer injector, dpf seals and clamps, cleaned egr valve as well as inspecting the dpf for cracks with no result. Also no visible exhaust leaks anywhere.
This code comes up intermittently and if not dealt with will require a parked regen shortly.
All I can do is to turn the truck off for 13sec or so to turn the cel off.
After it may appear again in 8 miles or not for 100s of miles which tells me the passive regen is able function properly from time to time.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

Hi there . My name is Andy ! Can we start with the full vin number please ? Also , can you tell me the failure mode indicator of FMI number that accompanies the SPN 3556 code you had for dpf out of range low ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Vin: 1FUJGLDR09LAJ0061
FMI 01
Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

This is the fault you are dealing with .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I also have the fault code book definition (how I explained the code in the initial thread.)
What I am trying to find out is how to fix it when I've already replaced the dozer injector and the line supplying the fuel?
Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

ok ... so are u able to watch the temperatures from all 3 temp sensors in the exhaust while it is doing a regen ?

Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

Are the last 2 sensors reaching over 1000 degrees F?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Unfortunately not. I don't have the software to monitor them.
If I don't reset the cel promptly it does require me to perform a parked regen which works perfectly. Which makes me believe the dozer works well.
Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

can u read temp of dpf using an infrared temp gun

Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

Does the code come up active right after doing a parked regen?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not used a temp gun... I will do that tomorrow morning.
When a parked regen is preformed the cel will NOT come on for at least 200 to 300 miles.
Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

Is engine performance normal ? No misfires , fuel pressure and boost are within normal specifications , no exhaust leaks ? Any of these out of spec create more black smoke in the exhaust stream and sometimes , can overload the aftertreatment system causing it to do more active or passive regens to try and clear up and if unsuccessful , then requires more parked regens.

Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

If engine is running within normal specifications , then disregard last few post

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've also noticed that when the cel does light up it will come on when at the base of a climb. Which led my thought process to the EGR not closing all the way when I need full power. Otherwise everything is functioning properly. 6.5-7 mpg, all gauges read in the correct range, no misfire, no exhaust leaks, and ample torque as it has been since I bought it 2 years ago.
Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

Ok . the links I sent you are to help troubleshoot fault 3556 - 1. Let me know if you need further assistance .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've managed to only preform 2 parked regens because I stop the truck shortly after and turn it off for 13 sec which resets the cel. I made the mistake of not doing that last year which required multiple regens per trip leading to a cracked DPF so I've been told by Fl dealership.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. I will keep you posted. Thank you.
Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

Thanks . Please do not forget to rate my service to you . Feedback is important .

Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

Any luck ?