Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

My husband has a 2000 freightliner fl60 MBE906 NOT the

Customer Question

My husband has a 2000 freightliner fl60 MBE906 NOT the 900(can only find diagram of 900). He is the original owner. Past two weeks he has been trouble shooting! Started when he would get on the highway for a bit the truck would die or cut out when it reached high speeds. Now it does it continuously. He has cleaned all filters and lines blown out etc. mechanic put it on computer and it said crankshaft sensor. They said he should change the crank and cam sensors. Sounds simple right? Nope! Went to freightliner and Detroit deisel they gave us the two parts. Mechanic went to change them and turns out the crank sensor looks identical but has a plug in end instead of actual wires which is what the truck calls for. Mechanic wants to clip them and put wires in? The cam piece, he couldn't find the location for it and thinks he did but said the part is wrong because it has no wires. Two weeks later and we don't know where the parts are on the engine to change and check!? Please help!
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What fault codes are you getting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mechanic only said the computer said it needed a crankshaft sensor and we should also change the cam sensor at the same time

Hi Thanks for the update There is a common issue with these trucks with power and ground loss to the PLD Check all your frame grounds and clean and inspect them. One in particular on the inside frame rail as there was a bulletin to grind and install a 3/8 bolt to the inner rail to replace it. Check all your batteries with a digital tester and your battery to starter connections including your engine to chassis and frame grounds. Let me know. I found some more information that caused your problem. You are not the only person that has had this issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will let my husband know so he could get on it tonight! Would you also know where the two sensors would be located on his particular engine and why the ones we purchased come with plug like ends and not wires? We are only finding the locations for cam and crank for the MBE900 but not the MBE906.

Cam and crank sensors

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I've sent him all the info and he will get on it tonight and tomorrow. Praying for a running truck. I will be sure to let you know ASAP. Thanks for the quick responses!

Keep me posted. Pleasure to help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, they tried the electrical issue and didn't help. I gave them the diagram and it appears different then what he has. He still hasn't been able to find where the cam sensor is located. I have a pic. In the pic you will see the hole he took the crank sensor out but where is the cam :(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Toni, Just got back in town and was away for the weekend.

Click on this link and see PDF page 38 and 39 and let me know if it is still different. If so please get me the complete engine model and serial number so I can look into this further tomorrow.

Engine info

Hi, Did you get this resolved?