Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a Cat C7. It is a cat certified remanufactured block

Customer Question

Customer: I have a Cat C7. It is a cat certified remanufactured long block that we installed last year. We had a cold start (-2f). I ended up having to give it starting fluid (turned key on, waited for heating element to turn off, sprayed starting fluid onto air filter and waited about 10 seconds before starting). The engine kicked off though ran rough. After about 10 minutes of idling it killed itself and dumped a ton of sulfur out of the exhaust. I could restart it and it would idle rough for a few minutes then die (and dump out a pile of sulfur). We thought it was a fuel jell issue so came back a few days later and added fuel supplement, replaced the filters and warmed up the engine with generators. The truck would start up running rough and then after a bit stall out. Our mechanic thought it was an electrical/computer issue as it starts cold though as it warms up begins to run rougher as if the computer is not adjusting the timing and then eventually goes to shut down. We hauled it to a dealer with Cat computers. They ran it through diagnostics and came back that the injectors were bad (I believe 3 cylinders were cold). They checked the heui system and said the psi’s were within specs at crank and run. After the injectors were replaced #4 was still cold so they swapped #6 & #4. Now they are saying the heui psi is irregular (ranging from 2,000 to 4,000 psi). The truck still runs for a bit and then dies. They are working with Cat tech though have not been able to figure out what is going on. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just what I have above
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $54) to post your type of question to Heavy Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm happy to pay- Ive looked over your posts in the past
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.

Unfortunately I have seen many heui pumps fail and damage the injectors. When this happens the heui pump will throw out metal debris into the injectors and cause them to fail. Since all the injectors were faulty and now they say the heui pump is failing with erratic pressure. I assume you have the same scenario. Bad heui pump and injectors. Unfortunately this is a known issue with the C7. The good news is the newer heui pumps are suppose to be corrected and better and should not chase failures like this in the future.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.