][\][iCk0411
][\][iCk0411, Fleet Manager
Experience:  310T Red Seal- Truck and Coach Technician
12570002

2007 International 4300 DT466, no signals, 4 way or turn,

Customer Question

2007 International 4300 DT466 , no signals, 4 way or turn, pto wont operate, no brake lights, vehicle wont shift from park. dash cluster sweeps and illuminates when started, then 1/2 the gauges do not function. code(###) ###-####14 instrument cluster #1 source address 23 special instructions
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  ][\][iCk0411 replied 10 months ago.
Good evening Sir,
Sounds like one defect is potentially causing all your symptoms. I just wanted to clarify a few things with your unit. What kind of body/application is this truck? Is this an automatic or manual transmission? Transmission mounted PTO?Judging by the symptoms I would start at the batteries. Most Navistars of that generation are equipped with separate cables that feed the cab that are usually fused right at the battery post. pay close attention to the inspection of the ground cables (black).
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2007 international flatbed tow truck 4300. The battery chevked good the vehicle cranks and runs. If we release the shift lock at the shifter it will drive down the road. It seems whatever the body control or system control module controls isnt working. Gages sweep but while running the volt gage doesn't work, the tach does, the fuel gauge doesn't but the temp does.
Thank you, ***** ***** all excellent information.
The issues sound like they could be related to a ground issue. Most of the dash instruments your experiencing issues with run off of a ground signal from the cab. The ground posts that ground the cab to the chassis are located on the front firewall. one on each side of the cab. I would double check these connections, even better to clean them at the cab and frame. On the inside of the cab the ground posts should be checked for tightness and corrision, if corrosion it should be cleaned as well.Positive connections to the cab should be checked too. Sometimes if it's a weak, or rotten positive connection, turning on something like a PTO could cause a voltage drop. If any corrosion at the bulkheads on the firewall I would recommend servicing.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Doesn't the cluster run off of the data lines from the system controller? Is there a schematic and or connector pin view available for the cluster and the system controller?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The pto and light switches for the beacon seem to be ran through the system controller as well. The lights light up when the ignition switch is turned on. All the lights light up on the cluster. But then everything goes out. And only a few gauges work. And the hazzards do not work or the turn signals. I haven't checked the head lights, but i assume they arent gonna work as well
there is always a chance that the main controller could be malfunctioned. Best to Check all connections that feed these modules first to be sure a module isn't purchased that doesn't repair the issue. Yes I can send you a schematic but there seems to be two different versions in that generation. Could you confirm when your unit was built? October,2005-February 2007 or March 2007-March 2008? Thank you for your patience!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
11/27/07, build date

Good morning,

So this unit does have what they call a "Body Controller" that most cab accessories are controller through. All the switches you are experiencing issues with would be controlled through this controller but it is all ground signals that it communicates with. I would recommend reviewing the following link of where to find the wiring manual for your unit. Service and inspect all ground connections to and from your cab and the plugs in and out of the controller. If all else does not solve the issues then the controller may need to be replaced. If your not comfortable with purchasing this controller outright then I would recommend booking into a local Navistar dealer to confirm it is the controller. Sometimes with wiring issues like this its best to air on the side of caution in order for the repair costs to be controlled.

bodybuilder.navistar.com/General/Documents/svcmanpdf/S08322a.pdf.

Best Regards, Nick!