Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Ed Humphrey,ne has developed a blow by,what causes this and

Customer Question

Customer: Ed Humphrey,ne has developed a blow by,what causes this and can it be fixed without reuilding the engine?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: losing oil thru the blow by pipe,engine still has all it's power but puting a gallon of oil in every two or three days
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $54) to post your type of question to Heavy Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

Can you tell me what engine you have?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Series 60,14liter
Expert:  Cat Man replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the information.

There are three things I have seen cause this.

The first is wear in the cylinders or valve guides. Even though the engine has good power. It can still have wear in the cylinders and valve guides. Most often when there is wear in the cylinders causing blowby. The engine will also have some smoke from the exhaust.

Second is a worn air compressor. Just like the engine, the compressor has a piston. When it wears, it can elevate crankcase pressure.

Lastly is a faulty turbo. They can fail and allow exhaust gas to go down the oil drain back tube and elevate crankcase pressure and cause oil to be pushed out of the engine.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.