Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

My truck has a cat c7 with 210 hp and a serial # SAP07075.

Customer Question

My truck has a cat c7 with 210 hp and a serial # ***** Does a new engine need to have a SAP serial # ***** can you use one with KAL or WAX? Whats the difference between the prefix of these numbers?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

No it does not need to be an SAP. There is no difference in the WAX, SAP, or KAL.

Cat made thousands of C7 engines. The reason there several serial number prefixes is cause they ran out of numbers. They can only make 99,999 of each. So when they got to KAL99999, they started with WAX00001. When they made 99,999 of them. They went to SAP.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.