cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

Cummins engine qsv will not start, We need to run the engine

Customer Question

Cummins engine qsv will not start, We need to run the engine today for test purpose.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

what does it do Crank over and no start

does not crank ,just clicks

if cranks , do you get any smoke

When was last time engine was started

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot get the engine to do anything. Last month we ran it for its test and it was fine.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that

but that does not help me,

are you saying that it will not crank over

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SIR. It will not do anything when I try to start it doesn't click or turning over . Are you familiar with this engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

HI

I am Back , Very busy day today

Yes I am here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you be able to help ASAP? I have many people here to witness this test today. And why would my engine smoke if it was cranking?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

HI

That is what I am trying to fine out,

does it crank over , smoke out exhaust . and not start

or does not crank over , you have not answered any of my request questions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SIR, I said when I try to start it it will not do anything. It will not crank over and I cannot hear any clicking. Why would this engine smoke while cranking it's pretty much brand new only 95 hours on her. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I want to know if it is cranking exhaust (smoking) means it is getting fuel

that is all I meant

what is your battery voltage, what is voltage at starter , when trying to crank

let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My engine never smoked when starting or cranking. Why would it? Our voltage at the battery's and the starter is currently 24.5 volts.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I s this the Cummings Ag, or marine diesel engine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No its not a Marine engine and not sure what Ag is bUT it's a Cummings QSV engine. So can assume you have no knowledge of this engine and you have successfully wasted over an hour and a half of my time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still cannot understand why my engine would smoke Ag anytime. Cañ you please explain so I know for later? Thank you
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out

That engine is a Diesel engine, and does emit smoke when cranking

AR is Fram Equipment , or construction

I did not waste your time, you were not answering my questions

Have a good Day , and Good Luck with your Test

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not a diesel engine. Thanks for nothing. CAN I SPEAK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how many times I told You what is not doing. I believe I answered every question you may have asked . Is their someone else I could speak with? We're getting frustrated here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What a fake you are. Is this a scam? Will I get an answer or refund?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well thanks to this Wayne fellow,my monthly test has been postponed to mid afternoon tomorrow. So what do I do now, wait for an answer or call cummings tech out at outrageous weekend rates? Please help
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It would have been helpful to know that this Cummins engine is natural gas fired generator. That means that if starter will not engage, that likely the generator panel is not in correct start mode. I suspect it is in automatic mode, so it will start if power is lost. It has to be in manual mode for you to go out and start unit, then t can be transfered to the load for a test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a natural gas engine. Not sure why Wayne thinks a diesel.. it is in manual mode and still is operative.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

With minimal information, and no obvious problem with panel set wrong, the call to Cummins seems to be your choice. Sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is INOPERATIVE in manual ---I still need to know,why my engine will smoke?
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Don't Call Cummins!! Request ME on Just Answer... Hi!! I'm the only Cummins expert on here and can assist. After reviewing your several attempts to advise the other "experts" trying to help your situation. I see you have a common failure that most people overlook. On your main panel you have a big red button that is the Emergency stop switch. make sure that is not pushed in as it will inhibit the starting ability of the COGEN unit. If this is pushed in pull it out as that is the normal run position. If that one is pulled out check the other Estop switches within the complex that houses the COGEN unit . It is common to have someone accidentally bump into or push the switch. Let me know what you find. Thank you for your Patience thru this process and I hope we can assist you in the future without the misleading information. Just request me if you need and thing on these COGEN units. Have a great night and please don't forget to rate my service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow you seem pretty confident! I will check the red buttons in the area and let you know.I hope your correct. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and why would my engine smoke cranking or running as Wayne said? Just curious since he raised the issue. Thank you in advance
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

The only way your natural gas unit will smoke is if the Block heaters are not working and the temp is cold or you have coolant entering the cylinder from a blown gasket. Its not a Diesel engine that smokes while running ect..

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Just following up, Please don't forget to rate my service