Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

01 Frieghtliner mt 45 5.9 24valve Cummins.intermittent check

Customer Question

01 Frieghtliner mt 45 5.9 24valve Cummins.intermittent check engine light comes on and runs like it surges for about a minute then lite goes out and runs fine .does this a couple times a week. A can do scanner reads sid3 cylinder 3 injector. This has been going on for a year now. Since it started I changed fuel tank cause it it had rust in it.lift pump and #3 injector.a few fuel filters too.since I changed the tank the last filter was clean.what's next to fix this intermittent problem?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Have you ohm tested the harness at all to see if there is a short in the injector harness? You are describing an injector harness issue more than an injector issue with the problem being intermittent.

On that scan, did you have a code or what you provided was all the info it gives? I ask because the codes can tell me if the issue is a short to ground, short to high source, etc to give more of an idea of which side of the harness it can be on.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is no wires going to the injectors. There is injector lines going to each injector from the injection pump
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The scanner i used only gave me Sid3 cylinder 3
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I gonna see exactly what the scanner said
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sid3. Injector cylinder #3. Thats all my can do hd scanner says. Its always says the same thing even after cleared.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
After the code has been cleared it comes back in a couple days
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

There are injector wires going to the injectros. They are under the valve cover coming from the harness going into the back of the engine.

If code clears and returns in a few days, it is the injector harness causing the problem, especially since the injector was replaced.

I would suspect it to be under the valve cover from the harness getting hot and expanding/contracting. I suggest trying to crimp the connectors at the injector itself and see if that will solve the issue. Also push the pins into the plug better and tighter. If it comes back again then I would replace the injector harness.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Jeremy. I didnt see any wires going to injectors.i had valve cover off to replace the injector number 3 and no wires that i seen.are u sure your looking up the right engine?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

A 2001 5.9 is computer controlled. It is a common rail engine. You have the 1999 1/2 to 2002 version of the engine. You couldn't even get an injector code without the ECM sending a signal through the injector. You had to have plugged in a harness plug to the injector in order for it to even work. There is a injector harness there.

Yes, I know the engine quite well.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
98.5 to 02 used electronically controlled Bosch vp44pump.03 to 07 used common rail high pressure. I gonna research more if my 01 has a injector harness
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

Can I get the engine serial number?

i think I am thinking of the wrong series.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pn3944124. Sn3017496. Dc 02/21/01. esn56815725 ecm codeJ90659.17.... this was on engine tag
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will try to help. Try pulling the 3 digit cummins flash code using the cruise or diagnostic switch in the cab. Key on, cruise off, hold set resume switch until the check engine light flashes the 3 digit code with short pauses in between each digit and a longer pause between each code. It sounds like your scan tool is using a generic code number unless you are using Cummins Insite. Try pulling a flash code and lets see what you get.

Click this link and see PDF page 193 for the VP44 test info. You will need the 3 digit cummins flash code.

Troubleshooting

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No cruIse. Held down check engine swith key on for 15sec.nothing flashing.check engline and stop engin lite was on when holding swith with key on

Thanks for the info Steve. Is there a diagnostic switch on your truck?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is a switch that has check engine on it next to the inc/dec idle which is next to the diagnosict plug

That sounds like its the one. Try that switch when you turn the key on

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I turn ko engine off. Press switch and check engine and stop engine lights stay on and dont blink till i let switch go.held switch for 30 sec

So it will flash the codes once you let the switch go? If so count the flashes for your 3 digit codes... If more than one code there will be a longer pause between codes and then repeat

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not flashing anything.light goes out when i let go of switch

Do you know anyone with Cummins Insite you can see what the code reads? The code number your scanned is giving as we know is not the correct code for your fuel system.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok i will see.gonna be a while before i can do that but will and get back to u then. Thanks

Ok sounds good