Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

2000 dt466e 4900, starts,runs, second you touch brake, light

Customer Question

2000 dt466e 4900, starts,runs, second you touch brake, light switch, blinkers, or anything, kills truck dead
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

You are describing a case of a bad alternator.

Test the alternator and see if the diode is bad or if the voltage regulator is bad. When the alternators go bad, it will provide just barely enough voltage for the truck to run when started, but as soon as it gets a draw on it from another source, the diode goes in reverse and pulls voltage instead of sending voltage, killing off the power to the nengine and it dies.

I've experienced that issue more than a dozen times in my career.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?