Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

We have a bl 70 Volvo backhoe. the shut off solenoid would

Customer Question

we have a bl 70 Volvo backhoe. the shut off solenoid would stick after it ran for a bit so we would have to lightly tap it to shut the machine off after the key was turned off. After a day of running the machine was shut down and now will not restart. We have replaced the solenoid as well as the belt driven fuel pump. still no smoke and not trying to start. we cycled the key witht eh shut off solenoid out and it seems to be working fine.
Thanks
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is Dan, Okay thanks for that info. I believe that has the solenoid on the top of the head and it engages into the fuel rack. SO i would look at the fuel rack with the solenoid out and make sure it slide easily back and forth with light pressure. I've seen instances when the injectors fail that they will bind the rack and thus the solenoid even though its working the rack will not move. Also an indication of why you needed to tap it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we did that. It moved freely with a screwdriver

Okay thanks, ***** ***** start with the solenoid out?

It can be tricky to set in place, i will look when i get off the road, but there was a manual lever i believe to assist in putting the soleniod in. I think you needed to stoke the lever to lock the new solenoid into the rack. Ill see if i can find out.