Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

2003 Volvo 660 w/ Cummins N14 Celect Plus. I dont know how

Customer Question

2003 Volvo 660 w/ Cummins N14 Celect Plus. I dont know how to lower my idle speed. Its idling at 800 rpm. Just had a new ECM and #5 injector replaced. No faults. It idled high like this prior to the new ECM. After the new ECM, it idled at 600 rpm. Then last night I used the "idle/diag" button to idle up. Now it wont idle back down to 600
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 11 months ago.

Hi Lamar. My name is***** will be glad to help. The Idle speed is programmed into the ECM so Cummins Insite will need to be plugged in to monitor and check the current parameters, sensor signals and settings. If the sensors and harness are good then the problem will be ECM software related.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The ECM is 5 days old. It idled at 600 until I idled it up. So why do you think it's the ECM?

Hi Lamar. The ECM controls low and high RPM. I did not specifically say it was the ECM but without Cummins insite or being plugged into the engine and reading live data through a comparable scan tool you can not see the current programming and settings. You need to be able to see what the programming is set at for PTO settings. These are changable settings programmed in the ECM. you could have a speed sensor or throttle position sensor problem. Try calibrating the throttle position sensor to the new ECM if you have not already. Key on, push the fuel pedal slowly to the floor and then all the way back up 3 times to calibrate. Then see if your problem is corrected. Also there could be a fuel return restriction causing this. Try the TPS calibration first since you may not have done this when installing the ECM