spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

Im having trouble with a Detroit series 60 no start, no

Customer Question

Customer: hi im having trouble with a Detroit series 60 no start , no smoke. checked the srs and the trs , checked and load tested all the ecm powere wires sent the ecm out. and still wont start, there is no codes
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the guy was driving it and shut it off to go fill out his load paper work came back out and it wouldn't start. it turns over just fine but will not fire will run off either. but not by itself, its in a 2000 Volvo. ddec 3/4
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $54) to post your type of question to Heavy Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.

Does check engine light come on and go off after first turning key on?

Does tach show RPM when cranking engine over?

Have you dropped filters down to see if they are full?

Any cold temps at your location?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I actually had the ecm sent out so I know its good, yes it does, and yes I changed the filters, no I have it on the shop right now about 65 degrees

I saw you did have ecm checked but wanted to make sure it was powering up right on truck side.

What about tach working during cranking?

I know you said you checked trs and srs but if bull gear walked it won't pick up srs signal tach won't work and no start.

Have you checked fuel pressure? should have at least 20 during cranking. Possible fuel drive problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the tack is reading, and yes I got 20psi during cranking originally replaced the lift pump because it wasnt working, but didn't fix the problem but I atleast have fuel pressure now
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it seems to be something electrical to me

It runs on fuel from starting fluid so we need to eliminate that first,,check engine light works, that tells us since ecm was checked should not be electrical but still possible.

I read wrong, tach does work so we need to make sure you have fuel pressure,if drive is good try running fuel system out of a bucket of clean fuel bypassing everything, go directly to fuel pump inlet into bucket.

prime system and see if it stays running.

Also check return fuel for any air,,possible injector check valve bad allowing fuel to arriate.

Let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there is two hoses on the back of the head wich one is the return fuel

One is input from secondary fuel filter head other is return.

Go to back of trans there is usually a fitting for return hose from head before going back to tanks,,sometimes it is a tee so fuel returns to both tanks.

Also return fuel line will have a check valve inline with return hose close by head other won't

Please let me know if you'd like to discuss this further...just click the reply button or use the reply box below to let me know.
If this has been helpful, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal service to you.

Questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.
Thank You,
spanky