Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 2007 Freightliner Vin 1FYHA6CKH7LZ43395 that is

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Freightliner Vin 1FYHA6CKH7LZ43395 that is throwing a code SID 263 FMI 4 Flash Code 31. The scanner description on Snap On Pro Link Ultra is Auxiliary Output No. 15 Short to Ground High Side. What does this code mean and how do I go about diagnosing it?
Kevin
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kevin, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is the engine make ans model and chassis model of your truck? I can not look this info up by VIN unfortunately.

Here is the troubleshooting information for flash code 31. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Freightliner Columbia with a Series 60 Detroit. Can you explain more how that code breaks down. What does SID mean? FMI? Flash Code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In particular, what is a SID 263 dealing with? Does this code narrow us to a particular component such as a jake solenoid or an egr valve?

SID is the system identifier. In your case it is Aux output 15. Aux outputs from the ecm are designated in the ecm programming. Do you have the Detroit software?.... Fmi is fault mode Id soch as open circuit... Short.... Data valid but out of range. Etc. I'm on the road but can follow up more when I get back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a troubleshooting procedure specifically for that code?

That fault is Aux.Output#15(E51)ShortToGround(HighSide). Your ECM output connector pin 51 which that output is for your engine brake harness. Inspect the harness and connector pins for damage and shorts rubbed through between the ECM connector and to the solenoids and harness under the valve cover. If the harness is ok you could have a shorted solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a wiring schematic available? Also, which jake solenoid does Pin 51 feed?

Pin 51 is at the ECM plug for jake hi... Here is a diagram.

Follow the wire from pin51 through the valve cover connector pins and to the jake solenoids for any rubbed through wires

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, we found pin 51 on the ecu connector which is a yellow wire labeled E51. However, I am confused by the schematic as to where this wire ends up. The jake solenoids are a white wire with no continuity to this pin 51. What pin from the ecu is actually the feed to the jake solenoids?

Is your truck DDEC 5?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a series 60 14.0L with the 515 hp rating and a build date of 2006. I think that would give us the DDEC 5 software, correct?

Thanks for the info. I know what you have now... Your problem is at output pin 51 but for your ECM that output is programmed for EGR. Click on this link and go to PDF page 12. Then go to PDF page 17 and you will see Pin 51 for Jake in the Vehicle Interface connector. Schematics

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this code is dealing with Pin 51 ecu or Pin 51 Vehicle Interface Connector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, it would be dealing with the yellow egr wire as this code is an output code, correct?

It would be the ECU connector which is an output.

you are correct

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a resistance check for the egr valve? Also, am I correct that this wire goes directly from ecu to egr valve and is the 12 volt control signal?

The EGR valve actually will vary in output voltage from the ECM to control its position which varies on the information from the other sensors the ECM is receiving. The fault is for a short either in the harness or the EGR itself. Inspect the wire from E51 to the EGR and run a test wire if you would prefer to see if the problem still exists. If so the problem is likely the EGR valve itself. They get carboned up and loaded with soot, then start sticking and can cause the electrical control side to fail. Using the Detroit software with a laptop is the easiest way to monitor live data for the EGR operation.