Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I hear a clinking sound on my 1990 komatsu d-53 when I am

Customer Question

I hear a clinking sound on my 1990 komatsu d-53 when I am shutting it down. I am told this is normal for this engine and or/ transmission
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  diesel-tech replied 11 months ago.

You are probably hearing the fuel shut off solenoid disengaiging when you shut it down..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I should have said more of a loud clunking sound , rather than clinking. It seems like a universal joint or something heavier sounding than a solenoid disengaiging , although I don't know what a solenoid sounds like shutting down.

Have you checked the u joints ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks for your input- I spoke with Komatsu this AM and they said that it is the drive shaft going to the converter and that in most all of the older crawlers/dozers you will hear that knocking sound when the engine shuts down, and there is nothing to fix UNLESS there is constant vibration while running the machine. In my case, it runs like a sewing machine so that is a mute point. Maybe this might help someone else.

I'm happy to hear that you got the answer you where looking for have a good new year..