Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

I want to do a compressin check on 3054 cat engine It is

Customer Question

Customer: i want to do a compressin check on 3054 cat chipper engine It is running perfect but blows oil out vent pipe a quart a day or so. Not a truck engine.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i bought it from talor rental as is so i know little history,though rings might be stuck. so added a quart of Marvel Mystrey oil which has worked well before ,ran it changed the oil and continued to add oil all summer,runs and chips fine no extra smoke.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Medium and Heavy Trucks Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Fine with that
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't this engine have glow plugs? Glow plugs can be removed, and the compression adapter screwed in to check the compression. A diesel tester can be rented at many auto supplies are Harbor Freight sells one for around $50.00.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Just have fuel solenoid disabled so engine does jot start, check one cylinder, then the next, check all to see if all are same. Looking for reading near 400 psi.