Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Need timing procedure cam 3406e need to time camshaft 3406 e

Customer Question

Customer: need timing procedure for new cam 3406e need to time camshaft 3406 e
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: replace cam shaft only how do i pin time 3406 e
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $54) to post your type of question to Heavy Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long a bit
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I can help you with this.

Here is the procedure for setting timing the Cam and setting the back lash procedure. Basically you will pin the flywheel and put the engine on TDC. Then set the Cam gear timing mark at 12 oclock.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/prc1ftmgfwq5pmb/baclash.PDF?dl=0

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 11 months ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 11 months ago.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Actually i did not recieve a phone call back as i checked off and paid for as for the answer i worked for caterpillar in the truck engine division and the answer is unclear , you will notice this question is asked quite often with a simple service manual
answer all over the net, pin timing is vague how to verify pin timing is not even explained you can pin time the flywheel but also can be 180 out and answer is unclear was charged for phone call back and did not get answer rateing at this time 2.5 stars
Expert:  Cat Man replied 11 months ago.

I accepted the phone call offer and it told me it was decline because of lack of payment. I proposed a phone call offer again and it was not accepted. I am happy to help if you still need more help. I will send another phone offer.