Joseph Book
Joseph Book, Tech
Experience:  Diesel Technician
61485557

I have 2012 Volvo with a D 16 engine and the 12 speed

Customer Question

I have 2012 Volvo with a D 16 engine and the 12 speed I-shift and when I drive down the road it starts to coast as like you're putting your foot on the clutch then it comes back and it does this over and over sometimes for a minute and then it's good again for quite a while then it will do again, what could be my problem?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan, My name is***** will be glad to help.Is it throwing any engine or transmission codes when this happens? If so what codes are you getting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes and the display still shows that its in gear and when this happens, the engine RPMs also drop and then when it re-engauges they come back up.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a possible clutch slipping or a loss of throttle or engine speed signal to the ECM. Do you lose throttle response from the fuel pedal when this happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can tell you don't know anything about this, I'm interested in expert advice not guessing games.

Ok then.... Ill opt out. Good luck

Expert:  Joseph Book replied 1 year ago.

Good morning the i-shift is equipped with a feature known as idle driving mode "it allows the engine to operate at idle while driving with out operator input to maximize fuel economy."http://www.volvotrucks.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/VTNA_Tree/ILF/Products/Powertrain/I-Shift-Brochure.pdf