Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

2007 maxxforce with smoke on acceleration. Performed

Customer Question

2007 maxxforce with white smoke on acceleration. Performed standard test and getting code 3338
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  diesel-tech replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like bad injectors have you done a power balance test

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have maxxforce 'servicelite', does not seem to offer 'power balance test'. Only shows 1 test under KOER, it does offer an after treatment test but it does not pass that test either it just states test aborted. but it does not seem to miss at all. Not showing any signs of 'loss of power'. Is there another way to check injectors?

Not with service lite .you need service max. Does it smell like coolant

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No its not coolant it's diesel. I have seen many egr coolers or headgaskets go out and cause coolant to be burned and it's a very distinct odor. Not the case here.

Then I would have a power balance test done. Sounds like over fueling and fuel not being burnt. Key on engine off test only test the electronic side of the injectors. What is your icp pressure while truck is running ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
power balance test is koeo test? ICP psi was running nearly exactly what the desired psi requested. Nothing looked out of ordinary and it does not sound as if it's dieseling. Especially at an idle and consistent rpm of about 1000, 1300, and 1500.

Koeo just test the solenoid on the injectors. And it won't necesarily skip either..I would have a balance test done for sure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was under the impression that if there was a bad injector solenoid it would miss completely. Just drove it and runs great but smokes under heavy acceleration, definately does not miss. Boost is very strong. But it will not regen and continues to throw code 3338 during standard KOER test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is showing ebp and it does increase with acceleration

Did you check the vgt on the Turbo..you can do a bounce test on it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed the procedures on the VGT actuator bounce test. Cycled key 5 times and seemed to operate smoothly then I moved the actuator arm by hand with engine off. My only slight concern is with key on it opens completely but stops just slightly short of closing all the way. Only way I could tell is when key is turned off it closes just that fraction maybe 16th of an inch.

It should sweep a full cycle..you may have sticking vanes and you can rebuild them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have rebuilt one other time but it was clearly coked up and sticking. The arm and viens move very freely my slight concern was the actuator itself with key on engine off held the viens just very slightly open. When you turn key to off position you can see it close just very slightly

If they are open at all then you are loosing boost

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems more as if actuator not moving to proper position or ecm commanding wrong position. The arm and viens seem to move very smoothly and free no binding or sticking. Just have to take it to someone who has full access to maxxforce diagnostic software as mine is limited.

Yeah sounds like you need a computer that can put the truck through all the motions