Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have 09 cascadia with 60 series detroit. I have code

Customer Question

Hi i have 09 cascadia with 60 series detroit. I have code 128s248 14
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Both Yellow engine lights are on. Also spn 000625 14 but that is probably same code different format
Expert:  roybelding replied 11 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the 625/14 is a message that the mcm is not receiving messages. I would check all fuses to be sure there is nothing blown. look at the batteries for any in line fuses as well as the ones above the glove box on the passenegr side.

Roy

625 2 Erratic Data Or CAN Failure Between MCM & CPC 250 4 Erratic Data Or CAN Failure Between MCM & CPC 251 8 MCM CAN DM1 Message Not Received Or Stopped Arriving 252 9 Erratic Data Or CAN Failure Between MCM & CPC (EPA07) 253 9 After-treatment Control Module (ACM) CAN DM1 Message Not Received Or Stopped Arriving (EPA10) 254 13 CAN ID Diagnostic Message Received This Ignition Cycle 255 14 __Motor Control Module System ID Not Received Or Stopped Arriving 256 17 Communication Interrupted Between ACM & MCM 2

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is not very specificky answer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I belive this code showed up about week ago but soon turned off by itself

I am here and you are there. you need the service pro program to narrow down the area of failure. starting with basics is always where I start. sorry if that is not good enough for you. I depend on you to be my hands and tester.

I will opt out so you can maybe find somebody that can give you a guess that may or may not be the issue.

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was just hoping to know what circuit, but I understand it is hard without diagnostic computer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Engine is running just fine
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

The problem is on this code that Freightliner uses a CAN BUS system with generic codes per the SAE, but the code has several meanings. It is a basic no communication code that the VCU (vehicle module) sees. The reason for the laptop is to see which signal is getting lost because that particular line has about 13 sensors on it. With the CAN BUS system, you can send different signals through the same wires, which are 2 of them, and that is the code you have. A communication loss on that wire. The truck is so computerized and Freightliner has such a lock on the firewall on the truck, you can;t just connect up a Snap On to pull the code. You have to use a Jpro or a Nexiq with Freightliner Service Link which only Freightliner has the licens for. They refuse to sell the license to anyone outside of the shops. They have it tight!

Some codes will explain exactly as to what it is, but that code can be a number of things. It can be the overhead light sending a wrong resistance back or maybe a burp in the brake controller to the VCU. It could be interference from a vehicle passing by that tripped the code. That is the downside to that code...

Just to give an idea, here is the VCU and the sensors attached to it CLICK HERE

Any one of these wth a slight hiccup of a second will cause the coad. This is why a laprop is needed. The Cascadia is the one truck that you have to have a laptop for nearly everything becasue everything on the truck is wired in to the VCU. Headlights, overhead light, even the cigar lighter and the power points are wired into it. You sneeze and the truck knows.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?