Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

When I'm in 10th gear cruising pops out off gear and RPM

Customer Question

When I'm in 10th gear cruising pops out off gear and RPM goes up without truck eccelarating, when gas pedal is released goes back in 10th gear on it' own!
It's an atomatic 10 speed EATON FULLER RTO 16910B DM2 transmission!
Do you think is a transmission problem???
It does it in other gears too, but not very often!
I have a 2005 Volvo.
Thank you for your help!
Phone #(###) ###-####
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Are you getting any fault codes? Click this link for the procedure to retrieve the fault codes and the second link for the troubleshooting info for the fault. Let me know what you have for codes and if you need more help.

Fault retrieval

Troubleshooting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already have been on a test drive with one of the mechanics with the tester on!
He said there were no transmission cods, but we can not find the root of the problem!
We put a new cluch in, changed the EGR valve, but it still does the same thing!

Thanks for the info. there are known issues with the XY shifters on these transmissions and sometimes may not throw a code. It is possible the XY shifter ans solenoids are not fully engaging the sliding collars into the speed gears on the main shaft on the transmission if it is worn. Over time this can also wear the shift collars and speed gear teeth bullet shaped causing a jump out condition as well. Click this link to view the XY shifter.

XY shifter

Service the transmission oil and inspect the oil and transmission filter for metal and discoloration indicating excessive internal wear or any chunks/debris in the oil or bottom of the case with a magnet. If the drain oil has streaks of what looks like grey/silver neverseize then it is from filings from internal problems and wear. You will have to remove the mat and the section of floor above the transmission. Most trucks will have an access panel to access the top of the transmission. Let me know if any of this might have already been checked with the transmission out for the clutch. The top cover should have been removed and the clutching collars and main shaft gears inspected for excessive wear. I hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The XY shifter has been changed, but it did not help my problem!
Changed the oil in the transmission but not the filter (the machanic couldn't find the filter) the oil that came out it was black! The truck still has the same symptoms! :-)
Question : can I take in my truck for a transmission test somwhere where they can check the transmisson and find out for 100% if my transmission ok or not, or there is no such a test!

Thanks for the update. Here is what I would do. Since the xy shifter is good and be sure the harness and connector pins are good and free from corrosion and damage. If confirmed, have the transmission TCM ( computer reprogrammed with the most current software and then see if the problem still exists. If it does then I would pull the top cover and do a good visual inspection of the shift collars and gears. It sounds like you could have a synchronizer problem inside the transmission if this problem occurs when shifting between the high and low range gears. This would require the back section to be removed from the transmission to repair this and most places will not warranty just a back section replacement as the main box has wear and possible contamination from age and any problems the current transmission has. but inspecting through the top cover to look for bullet shaped shift collars and internal teeth of the mainshaft gears as well as removing the back section to inspect the synchronizer. Unfortunately a visual inspection is needed to confirm but this is what the next step would be aside of a reman exchange if the software does not correct the problem and there are no codes.

Hi Zolta, Did you get this resolved?