Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

How are you?, i wonder if you can help me i have an CAT

Customer Question

Customer: Hi how are you?, i wonder if you can help me i have an CAT 3516B engine 1800 rpm serial: CAN00116 with(###) ###-####personality module, i want to use it as generator at 1200 RPM, so we changed the injectors and camshafts as for an 1NW, i looked on the sis the personality for that prefix its(###) ###-#### ***** i tried to flash it, it stop nearly at the beggining and dropped an error, and now it doesnt communicates with the ECM, neither via ET or winflash do you have any advice how i can restore de communication. thanks a lot
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i want to flash an ECM, but during the process it dropped an error and now i dont have communication between the ET and ECM
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $54) to post your type of question to Heavy Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: the payment its made via credit card?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

Yes when a flash the flash process does not complete and errors. ET will not communicate. But winflash should. If winflash does not. I would first want to use a bypass harness and connect directly to the ECM. This will eliminate any type of wiring problem. If you are still having trouble I would try different Comm adapter cables. I have seen them go bad while using et.

If you are still having problems I must suspect the ECM is faulty. It is very rare for an ECM to fail during flash but I have seen it a few times.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i took out the ECM and use an spare service connector and pin the CDL + and - , B+ and B- and B+ switched, but still doesnt communicates with ET.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information.

So you wired directly to the ECM and it did not communicate?