Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a 2005 Freightliner Classic last 6 of vin U55632. The

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Freightliner Classic last 6 of vin U55632. The cruise control stopped working. My fast idle still works and shuts off when I push in the brakes. I also have no check engine light on. Any help...?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

Most often when the cruise stops working I find the clutch switch faulty or the return spring on the clutch pedal weak and not returing the clutch pedal all the way back up to close the switch. You could also have a faulty cruise control switch.

To confirm these. You would need to have a Servoce tool read the engine ECM.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've tried to pull the clutch pedal while driving and cruise still doesn't work. I've taken the clutch switch off and work with continuity. Anymore help them just saying to bring it to a dealer..?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the information.

If you have done that, it's not the spring or switch. But it could be the wiring that runs from the switch to the engine ECM. Or it could the the switch or wiring from the cruise control switches themselves.

Unfortunately the only way to confirm is to have the ECM read and see if it's recognizing the switches. I am sorry. I wish there was another way to verify and troubleshoot.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dam 46 dollars for that.....👎
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If it fast idles up then should I rule out the switches...?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 11 months ago.

Sir. You have not been charged anything. You only get charged when you leave a positive rating. If you are not happy with the response. Please do not leave a positive rating. Our goal is to give honest accurate answers. If you feel you have not received this. Please do not leave a positive rating.

Unfortunately the only other option is to start throwing parts at the truck until it's fixed. That can get expensive. I would rather have the ECM read so the problem can be pinpointed. It should only take a few minutes with a service tool to read the ECM. I am sorry. There is no other way to find the problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My paypal was hit for 46 bucks....
Expert:  Cat Man replied 11 months ago.

If that's the case you need to ask JA for a refund. This site offers a money back guarantee. I am only the expert that answers the questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What about speed sensor?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 11 months ago.

I would not suspect the speed sensor. If it was faulty. You would have a yellow check engine light on and a code for the sensor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What does the clutch switch do?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 11 months ago.

It just reports to the ECM if it's in or out. The ECM uses this info for cruise control functions.