Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

We have 1 2006 volvo semi d12 last 8 of vin 6n423865 eng

Customer Question

hello we have 1 2006 volvo semi d12 last 8 of vin 6n423865 eng seriel number eng model ve d12 508714 395 the problem where having with it is try dyning out idels up an down by itself has codes epg1 sid266 new filters tryed bypasing the fuel line to filter housing with no luck
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. That fault is for EGR out of calibration. Try havingthe valve recalibrated with the Volvo diagnostic software and if unsuccessful inspect the harness and replace the EGR valve. Let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
well that shut the motor off all on its on then itll run fine then just die again

Hi Mike, You have either a faulty EGR valve/ or out of calibration, harness issue, or ECM software issue. This is related to the EGR valve circuit

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is there a way to trouble shot it first before takin it to a dealer for reprgaming

Check to see if one of the valves is stuck open. Click on the second link for more info. It shows an install of a delete kit which may not be legal in some states but there is a lot of good information of removing and inspecting your components.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4907391_valves-volvo-d-diesel-engine.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hYKjFVGqyQ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
would this r the epg cause it to just shutoff

I am not sure I understand what you are saying? You mean the engine stalls? it is possible it would. Fuel system issues and electrical issues could cause stalling as well. Does it sputter and stall like fuel starvation or instantly like you turned off the switch?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i changed the fuel pressure sensor put it doesnt throw a code for low fuel pressure anif i unplug the sensor it comes on i pulled the epg it fuctions good put itll run fine an smooth then start reving up an down but not die an itll be moving an just die out

The EGR is erratic and not calibrated. Try having the dealer calibrate it with the software... If it will not calibrate it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i called the dealer they said they cant calibrate

Unfortunately if the EGR is that erratic your EGR valve is faulty. There is two on this engine. Are they both doing this or just one?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
just one code for the egr but will it kill the engine i saw that there is two on top of the turbo

The EGR is opening and closing and moving erratically.... It should not be.... It should move steadily and smooth.... Some delete them with a kit if legal in your area but if not you will need to replace the EGR valves.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we pulled the epg off inspected it working right reinstalled left line off gonna run it a few days see if it cures it heard it leaking air from line hopfully the control module is just bad for it

Thanks for the update. There should be no leaks and also could be part of your problem. Let me know