Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Working on a Detroit series 60 with no faults. Cut out and

Customer Question

Working on a Detroit series 60 with no faults. Cut out and dies at high rpm. So far replaced fuel pump
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What are you getting for fuel pressure? If the fuel pressure is good and you have no other symptoms or fault codes then it is possible you could have a TRS or SRS sensor problem where the ECM is losing engine speed signal or a possible ECM problem. Let me know what you have for fuel pressure.

Fuel pressure specs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pressure at idle is about 20 psi
I have a video of what it is doing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We eliminated the davco filter and put a line directly into the fuel tank, no difference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to email or text the video?

You can upload it to you tube and post the link...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not allow me to upload to YouTube for some reason

Ok, If you have a new pump, there is no restrictions or leaks sucking air between the tank and pump then check the return check valve at the rear of the head. It is a 90 degree fitting coming out of the back of the head. another potential cause is failed injector o rings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We took it off and inspected, seems to be ok. I do have a new one in stock if needed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think if you saw the video it would be a big help. Can I email it to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you test for leaking injector o-rings?

Try applying air pressure to the fuel rail to listen for leaks

I see you also already bypassed the fuel lines by running a direct line and there was no change indicating the problem is between the pump and return side. I have also heard of faulty pumps right out of the box so lets not rule that completely out as a possibility.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://youtu.be/mHBy5QE3aU8
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No smoke either

Check your trs and srs sensors and harness. If ok try a test ECM. a lot of times when odd things happen with no codes it is an ECM issue. Do you have a sister truck you can swap ECM with for test purposes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We started the vehicle this morning with out air into the air system, Runs as it should. As soon as we connect the air system the turbo charger spools up and the engine cuts out.

Thanks for the update. Where are you disconnecting the air at the turbo? The filter inlet or the turbo outlet to the manifold? what year engine is this? EGR engine? VNT turbo?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The year of the vehicle is a 2003. The customer deleted the egr and it does have the vnt turbo. The tech disconnected at the turbo.

Thanks for the update. So he disconnected the turbo line to the intake and the engine will not stall? sounds like a faulty turbo to me. Inspect and clean the turbo vanes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTqZPbBet0I

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about the vpod?

Click here for the test procedures. Run through the tests and let me know what you get for the results

https://ddcsn-ddc.freightliner.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/2-secm-05a.pdf

https://ddcsn-ddc.freightliner.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/7-60-02.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We took out the egr vpod and installed onto turbo side, Problem seemed to be fixed. So we replaced the vpod tested, Problem still exists. I guess it could be the turbo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have a flash code 39 147/2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We removed the air line to the turbo and the vehicle run ok - Once we hook up the line and the turbo spools up it bogs down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any thoughts?

Flash code 39

Code s 147/2 — occurs if error in actual boost vs desired boost during Power Boost mode

operation is gr

eater than it should be. This fault will illuminate the CEL/AWL for the duration

of the fault being active.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What might be the variables to the problem?

Check the VNT vanes and actuator for sticking and proper operation. The turbo is variable boost by the vane position. If they are sticking from carbon or the actuator is faulty then the turbo could be stuck in full boost etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the procedure?

Check the actuator movement and verify the rod can move fully in both directions and the vanes in the turbo ar not sticking. See the link I posted for the you tube video for its operation. Pressure test the intake piping and charge air cooler.

Basic checks for all Series 60 EGR engines require the following tools:‪

1,000 Ohm resistor (low watt)
DDR suite 9 or DDDL version 6.0 or higher
Volt Ohm Meter
Pressure gage 0–200 psi (0-1378 kPa)
Pressure gage 0–100 psi (0-689 kPa)
Regulated shop air pressure (10 psi)
Section 20.18.1
Check EGR Controls
Perform the following steps to check the EGR system components.‪

Turn ignition ON.
Plug in DDR/DDDL.
Any EGR-related codes (except Flash Code 39)?
If codes were logged, troubleshoot the codes as necessary.
If no codes were logged (besides Code 39), proceed to step 4 .
Inspect system for any air leaks in the exhaust, EGR, or intake system (including charge-air-cooler).
If leaks were detected, repair as necessary.
If no leaks are present, go to step 5 .
Check Delta P counts on DDR/DDDL (counts should be between 86 and 118).
Note: The ignition is set to the ON position and the engine is not running.

If the counts were between 86 and 118, refer to "20.18.2 Check VPOD Input Pressure" .
If the counts were not between 86 and 118, perform Delta P sensor auto calibration using DDDL. Retest, if Delta P sensor counts are not between 86 and 118, replace the Delta P sensor, refer to "20.18.7 Check for Active Codes" . If the counts are between 86 -118, then verify repair.
Section 20.18.2
Check VPOD Input Pressure
Follow these steps to check VPOD input pressure: ‪

Measure the vehicle air supply pressure to VPOD input pressure to port 1; ensure it is between 102 – 188 psi. (703 – 1296 kPa).
If the supply pressure is not between 102 – 188 psi (703 – 1296 kPa), troubleshoot the vehicle air system until that result is obtained.
If the supply pressure is between 102 – 188 psi (703 – 1296 kPa ), refer to "20.18.3 Check VPOD Output Pressure" .
Section 20.18.3
Check VPOD Output Pressure
Follow these steps to check VPOD output pressure: ‪

Disconnect the air hose from the VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbocharger) actuator.
Install a 100 psi pressure gauge (accurate to within 1.4 kPa [0.2 psi]) at the outlet of the VNT hose.
Using the DDR/DDDL, activate cavity E-4 (VNT) duty cycle and monitor the output pressure from the VPOD.
Test: Activate the cavity to 50 % duty cycle: Pressure = 310 ± 14 kPa (45 ± 2 psi).
If the VPOD readings are as listed above, refer to "20.18.6 Check EGR Valve" .
If the results in this step cannot be attained, or if the VPOD leaks when activated replace the VPOD.
If the VPOD has been replaced, refer to "20.18.4 Check VPOD Supply Voltage" .
Section 20.18.4
Check VPOD Supply Voltage
The following checks should be performed for the VPOD supply voltage:‪

Check VPOD label to determine if it is + 12V or + 24V compatible.
Unplug VPOD mating connector. A 1,000 Ohm resistor is needed for the next step. Insert the resistor between cavity 1 and 3 for ease of checking with the VOM.

Also, Compare key on engine off values for the boost press and barometric press sensors. They should be within .4 psi of each other and pressure test your entire boost intake piping, should not leak more than 5 psi in 15 seconds. Also check the delta press sensor tubes for plugging.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Egr was deleted. The boost pressure (.4) and barometric pressure (14.4) is way off.

Thanks for the info. The Baro pressure sensor or harness could be part of the problem if everything else checks good... Inspect the harness and swap out the sensor. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thinking we might have a clogged exhaust so we removed the exhaust pipe, no difference. Removed cac hose on exhaust side and it runs, ok - Turbo doesn't spool up. Once the turbo spools up the vehicle wants to die.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed the Baro sensor and it didn't change anything.

And the turbo and actuator have been confirmed good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why is the boost pressure and the barometric pressure so far off?

Click on this link for the operation and technical manual that will explain the EGR and VNT turbo operation with the three modes ( Boost, EGR, Brake mode)

operation and troubleshooting