Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

L10 cummins engine quit running while driving. No fuel in

Customer Question

L10 cummins engine quit running while driving. No fuel in filter, fuel tank was 3/4 full and tank had pressure on it. I could barely remove cap.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Try running a separate line from the tank fill to the pump to see if it will run from there or run the return and supply from a bucket of fuel to check if the problem resolves indicating a suction side problem. Also check the fuel shutoff for power and proper operation from the ECM. Inspect the lines from the tank to pump for restrictions and leaks. Let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is a 1995 International Vin# *****
Engine#34772539 with a PT fuel pump. What would cause pressure to build up into the fuel tank?

Check your fuel tank vent and your cap. The vent is likely restricted causing a vacuum in the tank. Also check your return line for restrictions and excessive return pressure indicating an injector problem. You can install a clear hose to monitor this. Let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you have a diagram of the fuel pump lines
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This truck just had six injectors installed on 11/12/2025

http://oregonfuelinjection.com/pdf/cummins-pt-pump-diagnostic.pdf

Check the return for excessive pressure and for a plugged tank vent. I would also verify the overhead adjustments are correct as well and did not damage the new injectors.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tank vent is open
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you saying remove the return and see if its is restricted?

Use a clear hose into a bucket to see if there is excessive return pressure, bubbles, etc in the return. Usually if the return is restricted it will cause an overspeed on the PT fuels systems.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it isnt fixed yet
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1 injector bottom O-ring was gone and #2 injector was collapsed. After resetting the rack, engine starts with heavy white smoke and will not idle. You must keep foot on throttle to keep it running, if you let off it dies.
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 10 months ago.

Hi My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check your fuel tank vent for being plugged creating a vacuum and also for any return line problems or excessive pressure from a possible mechanically failed injector. What year and model chassis is this?

Check the exhaust ports for wetness from unburned fuel and also take temps with a digital temp reader for a cold cylinder indicating a bad injector or injectors. LEt me know

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1995 international 1htggaut4sh233473

Thanks for the info. It sounds like you have a mechanically failed injector. Try to cut out each cylinder one at a time. The one with little to no change is the problem cylinder or cylinders. LEt me know

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Its not electronic how am i to do a cylinder drop test

With the engine running and a pinch bar or pry bar Hold/pry the injector rocker arm down to cut out that cylinder.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Injectors are set at zero lash, that wouldnt be possible

Yes it is possible... Zero lash is the clearance between the rocker arm and the injector push rod. The injector push rod moves down into the injector to inject your fuel. You need to hold it there by wedging the pinch bar across the top of the rocker arm and holding it down with some leverage. I have done it many times over the years on these and the older 855 series. If you do not want to do this your only other option is to pull all injectors and send them out for testing at a fuels shop.