Robert
Robert, Technician
Experience:  Experience with RV application including chassis systems - especially CAT and Cummins.
3862310

I own a 2004 FE 120 recently one of my employees drove it

Customer Question

i own a 2004 FE 120 recently one of my employees drove it back to my shop,the next morning i got in to drive it and it was making a loud ticking noise fast forward two weeks and now the check engine light is on and the ticking noise is really loud again i didnt drive it back to the shop another person did any ideas ? i beleive he red lined it all the way back as he was running late for an appointment
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert..

Really hard to say what is going on without knowing what active codes are going off. When the check engine light goes off it should store codes and with the proper code reader a shop should be able to tell what is going on. A ticking noise that gets louder when load is applied could have something to do with the exhaust manifold or engine, if the manifold was cracked or the gasket where leaking then it would make a ticking sound and would get louder when more throttle is applied. I think at this point the codes will help determine what is going on. Most times the software will walking the tech. through any possible solutions for the cause. IF the ticking is not a manifold issue it could be the engine. I would also ask the shop what codes were found and go from there... Hope this helps some IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Hi, was just checking in to see if my answer helped... Robert