Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

We have a Scania 113 Streamline that when running is hunting

Customer Question

We have a Scania 113 Streamline that when running is hunting between idle and 1200rpm and stopping without warning when approaching intersection's etc. (Need to bleed fuel system to get running again when this occurs). Operating as required when not in this rev range. Has been in shed since June and now can't get fuel to the top of the Injector pump or injectors but have fuel returning to tank via Injector pump return line when using Lift Pump, so unable to fire engine. Manual lift pump is fine and have power to both the Fuel Solenoid at Injector Pump inlet and 1 pin at 7 pin plug on rear of Injector Pump (presumably from vehicles computer). Have found a small crack in the bottom of the Solenoid Housing which leaks fuel when fuel pump return to tank is closed off and pressurised via Lift Pump that could be letting air into the system. Can move fuel from Injector pump inlet to return to tanks when key is turned on with Lift Pump going hard after 2 -3 pumps after key is switched off, which is normal but nothing going from there to top of pump and beyond. Would it be simply the Fuel Rail not opening to allow fuel to injectors or a more serious issue ?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you have located a leak or issue with a leak with the fuel system on diesel engines usually if there are any leaks this can cause the fuel system to suck in air and cause issues like this here.If you have any components leaking fuel the components that are leaking fuel need to be repaired or replaced then the system re checked to see if it starts and operates properly from there.If the leaks have already been resolved let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete