Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

1999 Top kick with 3208 cat after running well it suddenly

Customer Question

1999 Top kick with 3208 cat after running well it suddenly reverts to idle, check engine light comes on and has no response at the accelerator pedal. If you pull to the roadside and restart the engine it will fix the problem.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

There are many things that can cause this. Since the check engine light comes on. I would want to try and pull the flash codes by using the cruise control switches. If you have never done this. Here is how.

Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.

Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This is a 6 speed manual transmission.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 12 months ago.

Were you able to pull any flash codes?

Expert:  Cat Man replied 12 months ago.

Since it returns to idle. I would suspect a throttle position sensor circuit fault. When there is a problem with the TPS. It will turn on the light and return to idle.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 11 months ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.