Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

We have an ISX Cummins. We are getting an active code

Customer Question

We have an ISX Cummins. We are getting an active code 689-Engine Crankshaft Speed/Position-Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect Code. What usually causes this?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 12 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

A bad engine speed sensor followed by a short in the pigtail going to the sensor. These are the 2 most causes for this issue. After that it is the harness itself, wobble in the crankshaft, and then the ECM. ECM is super rare, as in almost never causes this issue.

CLICK HERE for more code info.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We are going to change the sensor know. Hopefully that fixes it. There wasn't any apparent splits in the harness.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 12 months ago.

Let me know of the outcome.

Usually when the harness tests good, the sensor is bad.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?