Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a 1999 Detroit 12.7 the issue is this when the engine

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Detroit 12.7 the issue is this when the engine has sat or is cold it starts hard or dies and a lot of white smoke, engine makes a ticking sound, did a cut out test and injector number 6 is barely noticeable. Replaced check valve, new injectors,
tune up done. Need help
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

If you barely got anything on injector 6, then the injector is most likely fouled up and giving that low test result. If this is after replacing the injector, then test the harness. Also see if you have any flash codes indicating a possible pulse width issue to indicate the harness is fouled up and needs to be replaced.

How cold has it gotten? Did you get fuel from a warm state that didn't have winter blend added? It can cause some fuel issues on a very cold engine as well. I would check that injector harness though.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the sixth injector has been replaced also and new wiring has been installed. Not getting any codes. I mean cold as in sitting over the weekend here in Charlotte, NC so really not that cold. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

If you are still getting the injection cutout response low then the issue will be either mechanical like bad rings and not holding compression or there is an issue in the ECM driver aka EEPROM which controls the firing and pulse width of the injectors.

Usually when it is the rings, you get high blow by from the compression going around the rings, but what throws this off is the injector cut out test. To get no response, that is usually electrical. So I would have the ECM tested since you already did the harness and injector. That is the only point left for a failed injector cut out.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took the truck to the dealer for diagnosis. Bad head. $7000 later issue fixed. Thanks for trying
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Ouch on the head. That is rare to find.