Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

I have an MCI 102c3 bus with a cat c10/3176 engine and a 700

Customer Question

hello...I have an MCI 102c3 bus with a cat c10/3176 engine and a 700 (748) series transmission. Drove 800 miles last weekend without a hitch. Thursday night started the bus and had a "check Trans" light come on and stay on. moved the bus around the corner and had no performance issues though the light was still on. I have a push button shifter part # ***** this shifter does not have a Mode button so resetting it or putting it in test mode is not an option (or is there some kind of button sequence I can do to get it in to test mode and perhaps retrieve a code?) currently it is in some kind of limp home mode and not allowing the bus to get past 20 mph . I'd like to get some kind of code or clear it so I can get to the shop. Any ideas?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has replied with the info you are looking for here on retrieving the codes for this model.This can be due to the info being difficult to obtain in some cases or the correct person that can get this info may not be online.A repair shop that works on this model or has experience with this model may have a tool they use or a procedure they know of on how to retrieve the codes for proper diagnosis and repair.In some cases I know on the early 90's and 80's model vehicles you could disconnect the battery for about 2 minutes then reconnect it to clear out the codes which may also take it out of limp mode so it can be operated to a shop to be checked.You might see if this works on this model here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete