Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a ZF Merritt at 12 speed transmission in 2007

Customer Question

I have a ZF Merritt at 12 speed transmission in 2007 International 9400 was backing up low air light came on SM light popped on display panel. Back truck up in a slight stop the truck push neutral button shut it off. As it was shutting off the reverse indicator popped on. Does it have a safety override for that if it is stuck in reverse and if the air pressure is that low will it keep it stuck in reverse so that truck will not start
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Transmission is a ZF MERITOR 12SPD FULLY AUTOMATED TRANSMISSION
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** i will assist you.

Yes. If the truck is stuck in reverse, it will not start.

Sounds like you are having either a shifter problem where the electronics are causing shifts into gear when it isn't supposed to be there or a TCM issue. The latter is difficult to diagnose without the Transoft software made by Meritor. It has diagnostic activators to run various tests and to take the transmission out of gear as well as override the neutral switch for start.

If you can, remove the shift and see if you can slide the fork by hand to put it in neutral then put the shifter back on. This should allow a start. If you can;t move the fork, then you could have internal damage that caused the shifter to go out and the shifter needs to be replaced.

Otherwise, get it back to neutral so you can start the truck, or use compressed air on the back side of the compressor so you can put air back in the truck to diagnose the air leak for the low air issue. (In case it is why the shifter is not responding correctly)

The only odd thing is the truck went to reverse as you shut the truck down. Low air or no air, that should not have occurred on its own unless there is an electrical issue with the shifter.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?