Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

2000 N14 cummins loosing coolant runs great, no overheat, no

Customer Question

2000 N14 cummins loosing coolant runs great, no overheat, no mixing of any fluids, will loose coolant fast 1 gallon in a few hours. can see steam coming from blow by and oil fill tube.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. If you have no external leaks then the coolant is either burning in the combustion chamber and giving you white smoke out of the exhaust ( Pitted liner or cylinder head problem) or it has to be mixing with the crankcase oil to some extent. If the engine sits for a few hours or overnight to allow it time to separate, drain the engine oil to see if there is straight coolant at the bottom of the pan. Let me know. If so, drop the pan and pressurize the cooling system to locate the source of the leak from underneath. Inspect the liners/liner seals for drips and at the front timing cover.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
our driver did overheat engine do to bad thermostats, however im not seeing smoke or mixing been sitting for 2 months now and when i run it i don't see mixing coolant or milky colors at all. with the amount of coolant loss i should see it right?
i bought this motor as a long block 2 years ago and its been a problem child. leaking oil out of manifold i think rings never seated. im trying to decide if i should just take in for overhaul engines runs really nice smooth up and down no vibrations what soever. im just hoping block don't have issues! could a injector cause the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will lose a gallon or 2 in 2 hours of running but no smoke!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the most common problem you seen over the years?

That is odd. So the oil level is not overfilling? Are there any signs of white ash deposits at the exhaust manifold or turbo connections? This would be a sign of coolant burning out of the exhaust.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LOL the engine is odd! seems to run perfect! coolant loss is my issue oil leaking out of manifold has been there i just need to get in for overhaul just hoping block wasn't bad. oil is not overfilling, no ash deposits! however when i seen the amount of coolant it was using i took it right out of service! driver might of ran truck for a week or two like that when he told me I shut it down.

Sounds like a possible head gasket leaking or cracked head. I would have the head sent out for magnafluxing and pressure testing. An in frame will be a good idea at the same time but be sure to pressure test the cooling system with the pan down and look under with a light to try to find the source of any leaks before you tear anything down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to have cummins do it so I have no worries! Would a cracked head or head gasket cause blow by to steam coolant out. I know that it's definitely steaming into crank case. Just not enough to mix I suppose lol!

Yes it can and it may not create a misfire depending on where the problem is. Could be an injector sleeve as well.