Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a no FA1517 that would not start. I had a mobile

Customer Question

I have a Hino FA1517 that would not start. I had a mobile mechanic trace the issue to the engine motor shut off, which he jimmied and broke. I replace the engine motor shut of. The cable is fine, I have changed that in the past. I can jumper the connections at the engine motor shut-off to either start or shut down the engine, which runs fine. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. It seems there is some sort of solenoid or with somewhere that is not doing it's job.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check all your relays. Try swapping relays with a known good one for test purposes. If the fuses and relays all test good be sure to check all grounds and battery to starter connections. Let me know your complete engine model so I know if this is full mechanical or electronically governed by an ECM. If there is an ECM your ECM could not be sending power to the fuel shutoff due to a fault logged such as low coolant, no engine speed signal, etc. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The truck is a model year "99, manufactured July '98. vin #JHBFA4JC7X1S10095, with a ps code, if that means anything SA-JC2.
The truck turns over fine. with the engine motor start is in the right position it starts fine but won't shut off, if I jumper the lead it will shut off but not start again. There are three leads to the engine motor stop. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. I have blown the fuse that controls the engine motor stop while messing with the wiring so I know which one it is and I know that it's good. somewhere in the wiring linkage for this function there must be a switch or solenoid that is not getting the message. I hope it is not the ignition switch and I am pretty sure it is not. I don't know how I could substitute a relay to test this one as I am unsure where the relay this uses is and it is not likely that I could plug into another relay to check this as most of the other circuits are of different voltage.
If I could round up a wiring schematic for this truck I am pretty sure I could figure out where the problem is but as all the wiring in this truck is bundled together wherever possible it is nearly impossible to trace this whole circuit.
Have yo ever worked on one of theses trucks?

Hi Craig, Yes I have worked on a large variety of trucks including these, Fuso's, and the Ford version of these. I'll wait to hear back on the engine model info so I can see if I have the manual for this one. I have several. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see any reference to the engine model in this trucks manuel. If it's likely to be on the engine itself some where I'll have to look at it tomorrow in the daylight. It is a 4 cylinder. I would think that that and the VIN should get you in the ballpark.
I'll pick through my owners manuel again but I think there were probably not many engines to choose from.
Any tips on where to find the engine model number?

I would have to contact the dealer with the VIN to find out the engine model you have but the tag sill either be on the valve cover or on the side of the engine block. Tomorrow works for me. We can post back and forth as needed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** late today. I'll try to get a looks under the hood tomorrow.

Thanks for the update Craig. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.K. Here's the dope. The engine model is JO5C-TD and the family ID is WHMXH08.0JTR.

Thanks for the info. I happen to have some ECM pinouts and diagrams for this model. Click the link below. Check all your inline fuses and relays shown in the schematic and your ECM powers and grounds

Diagrams and pinouts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just had a chance to glance at this before I go out for the day. How do I identify the engine motor stop on the schematic?

Hi Craig, This is the information you are looking for.The SCV controls the fuel from signal from the ECM. If the electrical test good, check for a potential pump issue or low fuel pressure problem. Click this link below

Troubleshooting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I would think it would be in there but I may not get to run through it all until the weekend.
Thanks

Pleasure to help.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Been up to my ears. Pretty sure I have a relay issue. It is like pulling teeth to find a replacement so I can find out for sure.
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 12 months ago.

Hi Craig, Thanks for the update. Try this test.