cat_engines_only
cat_engines_only, Other
Experience:  Repair CAT machines only
11546476

I have a 922b cat front end Loader that suddenly quit

Customer Question

I have a 922b cat front end Loader that suddenly quit operating or responding after it ran about 8 gallons low of hydraulic fluid. I filled the system back up but I still have no response what could be my issue? Where is the hydraulic pump located on the
machine and does it have to be primed?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cat_engines_only replied 1 year ago.

I believe the hydraulic tank is on the right side of the machine and is located above the pump. That system will not have any issue getting oil to the pump.

It is common for these pumps to crack the rotor if they are are run out of oil. If the pump was make noise when it quit. It likely went dry.

Install a pressure gauge on the pump line to see if any pressure is there. I am not sure you have a tap to access it on these old machines, it may need a lollipop adapter to test pressures. These are still available from the dealer.

Either way, the best way to know what happened is to remove the pump for inspection.

If you need more help on this, please post the full machine serial number with your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the hydraulic pump located, I believe it's on top of the transmission

Yes, it is the large pump. You will see the big suction line connected to it. A small line will connect to the valve in the tank.