Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

Wayne, i took my 5.2 isuzi npr truck to dealer to fix. the

Customer Question

wayne, i took my 5.2 isuzi npr truck to dealer to fix. the truck was throwng codes and would not drive over about 30mph then it would slow then quit.first the dealer changed speed sensor they said it was fixed. drove 70 miles and it slowly lost power and lights then quit again. pulled to rtruck stop my son came by in about an hour jumped it off and drove last 10 miles home. my son came by next morning checked batteries and found they were weak changed batteries. put truck on road quit again in about 30 miles let truck sit an hour truck started driving again 30mph the hit a bump in pavement truck drove normal for 3o miles.took back to dealer now they say its the alternator and its fixed. they test drove 1 more time and now they say all injectors are bad it will take $3000-$5000 to replace injectors. what do you think is wrong? what should I do? Thanks Phillip
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This sounds like you may be losing voltage here causing this fault.If you hit a bump in the road and it ran normal for a but and if you had to have it jumped off this sounds like a loss of voltage.One common cause is a shorted or corroded or even internally damaged battery cable leading from the batteries or alternator or even started.I would have the cables fully inspected to see if any issues are found that can be repaired like cleaning a corroded cable or tightening a loose cable as well as inspected to see if any cables need replaced at all due to high resistance in one of the cables or physical damage.I have seen battery cables cause this here and all of the cables leading from all of the components listed here need checked including the power feed cable into the fuse panels.

I have seen fuel injector failure on this engine commonly so I wouldn't rule out any of the injectors at fault as I have had to replace several of these before but I would first have them check cables to make sure this isn't an issue.If they do not find any issues with the cables before you do the fuel injectors I would ask the repair facility what type of gaurantee they offer that if when they replace the injectors that this will correct this issue.This way if it does not for some reason maybe they will cover or help cover the costs for them since it was misdiagnosed.Injector failure is common but the cables need checked first.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete