Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

We have are pulling our hair out on a 2008 c4500,thought

Customer Question

hi we have are pulling our hair out on a 2008 c4500,thought alternator was bad and mechanic replaced,not problem.
Trace problem to isolator bar possible no power to exciter wire,put new isolator in and still not charging,we have to ignite wire to get it to charge,now we keep blowing 15 a fuse #5 aux wire,does that run the exciter wire?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

On some models the electronic ignition switch runs the alternator exciter wire.If the electronic ignition switch has an internal electrical fault this issue here will occur.If there is any broken wiring leading to the alternator this will also cause this fault here and the wiring will need repaired.If these have not been checked to see if any of these are the cause here this needs done.The fuse shorting out may be related as well.This may be a short in the wiring leading from the fuse to the component(s) the fuse feeds or an issue with one of the components that this fuse feeds power to shorting out internally needing replaced.This will have to be checked/tested further to locate and repair the cause of the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete I will check the wiring
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help above if you like.

Thanks Pete