Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Cummins ISX 475, CM871, ESN-79190339 Using truckprodemand

Customer Question

Cummins ISX 475, CM871, ESN-79190339
Using truckprodemand from mitchell as a guide
Installed used reworked head, new cam bearings etc...
Dampner at insert timing pin mark with pin inserted, installed head and cams, #4 shim for injector and #6 shim for valves, non-scissor gears, set baclash to specs, etc.. Installed rockers and removed timing pin, barred over to "A" position to begin valve and injector adjustment, noticed that intake valves were down slightly and so is injector #1 cyl. Rotated 1 full turn valves are up all the way but injecor is down. Have I been missinformed on proper set up? Head came off of ESN-79131527. was told by local cummins shop that heads would swap with no problems just reuse original 475 cams and rockers. Please any help would be great. This is my first Isx Head.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. On A you are on cyl 1or 6 tdc. Therefore with both valves closed and rockers loose on #1 that's #1tdc. You will be on valve overlap on #6..... Bar 180 degrees and you will be on 6 with both loose on 6... Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan this is true, But Thats not what i'm getting. In the "A" position on cyl #1 I get both sets of valves loose but injector is pushed down. According to my information I should be able to set valves and injector on same cyl at tdc of that cyl. Intake at .014, Exh at .027 and injectors at 71 inch lbs. Its like I have the Injector cam 180 out. If i bar engine around 1 turn to "A" position again then on #1 injector is up and exhaust but intake valves are down slightly.

How far down is the injector rocker arm? Here is a video that should help but if you can not get proper adjustment it sounds like the cam is timed wrong unfortunately. Video ISX

The intake valve rocker lever is always the long lever on the valve rocker lever shaft.

Valve Lash Specification

IntakeNOM0.014

ExhaustNOM0.027

Tighten the injector lever adjusting screw.

Do not use a click-type torque wrench.

Use a dial-type torque wrench

Torque Value:8 n.m[71 in-lb]

Engine Brake7.00 mm [0.276 in]

Loosen the locknut on the brake lever adjusting screw, and back out the adjusting screw one turn.

Insert the feeler gauge, Part Number(###) ###-####SPECIAL TOOL FROM CUMMINS , between the bottom of the engine brake piston and the top of the exhaust valve pin on the exhaust valve crosshead.

The valves, brakes, and injectors on the same cylinder are adjusted at the same index mark on the vibration damper.

Injector and Valve Adjustment Sequence

Bar Engine in Direction of RotationPulley PositionSet Cylinder InjectorSet Cylinder ValveSet Cylinder Brake

StartA111

Advance toB555

Advance toC333

Advance toA666

Advance toB222

Advance toC444

Firing Order: 1-5-3-6-2-4l

Let me know