cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

Alright - my next issue. Different truck but it also has a

Customer Question

Alright - my next issue. Different truck but it also has a cummins 8.3 serial # ***** Oil pressure gauge says about 45 psi when truck is first turned on. After the truck is warm - at idle - oil pressure gauge says oils pressure is around 10 psi. While
pressing on the accelerator, the psi goes back up to 40 to 45 psi. That low oil pressure has me concerned...
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Do you have engine faults for low oil pressure. !0 PSI is the min at idle. In these situations you need to hook up Cummins Insite and monitor the oil pressure that the ECM is seeing than check with a mechanical gauge under the same conditions that you checked with Insite. write all that down and check the gauge on the dash. The ecm is set to trip faults when oil pressure is low. and this test of all 3 locations isolates a sensor problem,a dash gauge problem or a real mechanical issue with the engine. Make sure the oil is not diluted or passed its life span and change if needed When the oil gets hot it thins out and old oil or contaminated oil thins faster and more. Do the oil pressure checks first to get a base line reading prior to changing oil and filters.

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate my service. Thank You for allowing Just Answer to help

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 11 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate my service