Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Working on isx cummins blowing a lot of smoke replaced EGR

Customer Question

Working on isx cummins blowing a lot of white smoke replaced EGR cooler was leaking water and smoke continues 2009 ISX
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is your complete engine model and serial number? Are you getting any fault codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fault codes and serial number(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry this is serial number 79351605

thanks for the info. If the EGR cooler did not correct the issue you likely have either leaking injector cups or a head gasket issue. Is there coolant in the crankcase oil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no coolant sir in the oil how do I k ow witch is the problem for sure

Look for white ash deposits at the exhaust ports to identify a problem cylinder. You can also remove and inspect the injectors but keep them in the same location for reassembly... Look for signs of coolants corrosion and damaged o rings on the injectors and inspect the cups with the cooling system pressure tested. For head gasket you can use a block tester to check for combustion gases in the cooling system. They can be bought at most auto parts stores. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did take off the manifold and there was no sign of water or fuel I also did a cylinder compression test my my diagnostic Program for cummins and they all passed

Try doing an injector test..... Cut out all cylinders except the one you are testing.... The engine should stumble before stalling on a good injector. Instant stall means a weak/faulty injector.

Cummins recomends replacing them every 500,000

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do injector test now I was doing the regeneration and wasn't thorwing smoke till it went to 1000 degrees and then went back down to 700 and thorwing a lot of smoke and driver says when he drives it start to smoke a lot too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I turend off all except the one injector I was testing at a time and the engine continues to run so that means all injectors are good? Correct I did it same way to all of them 1-6

Thanks for the update. Yes that means the injectors pass. A weak injector will not continue to run

Question. If the EGR cooler was changed is the white smoke coming from unburnt coolant etc that is in the catylist and muffler? Or is the engine itself still producing white smoke?

If coolant were burning in a cylinder it would likely show up white deposits in the exhaust ports....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm changing the injector dozer I think it's getting stuck beucause the white smoke smells like diesel there seems to me nothing else more I'll will let you know shortly

That is definitely a possible cause.... sounds like you are on the right track

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dozer was the issue

Great news and thanks for the update. Hope you have a great weekend!