Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Eaton Fuller Genration II auto transmission. This

Customer Question

Eaton Fuller Genration II auto transmission.
This transmission has been a solid headache since we purchased the truck. We have replaced the transmission,X-Y shifter, Transmission harness, ECM, Road speed sensors, you name it and it still gives us the same problems. We finally just wired a switch into the cab that would allow the driver to kill the power to the truck and reset the computer whenever it hung up. We today the problem has gotten worse. We are getting a Transmission Synchronizer Clutch Value (PID 53) is Voltage above normal or shorted high (FMI 3) code and the truck is hanging in 4th gear, 6th gear, as well as in reverse. When the driver reset the computer at the dock to get it to go into reverse he had to reset it again to get it to go back into gear forward.
Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Dan. that fault comes up as an inertia brake fault. Click this link and see PDF pg 106-111

http:[email protected][email protected][email protected]/documents/content/rr_trts-0062.pdf

Please post the complete trans model number so I can be sure to get the correct troubleshooting info to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already have that manual you sent me a link of. I am looking for an answer to why it is still acting up. I was hoping you had an alternative answer that we have not thought of yet. The inertia brake is less than 9 months old on this unit.

Thanks for the update. What is the complete model number? Are there signs of metal or burnt oil in the transmission indicating a mechanical problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the transmission we pulled out looked great but the dealership here in GA said that it had to be the transmission since they had replaced all of the other components. We replaced the transmission with a rebuilt one and when we took in the core the transmission shop looked as and very confused asked us why we were swapping in the original transmission since they opened it up and they said it looked almost new. Well we bought a new one anyway since Freightliner said it had to be a bad transmission. The new transmission has very clean oil, no smell and or leaks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have the model number in front of me. The truck is not at my office at the moment.

Thanks for the update. Sound like you are pulling your hair out with this one. If the TCM, harness and transmission is all new but the problem still exists I would say take a close look at the PDM and harness connector pins for corrosion, loose connections, or shorts in the harness starting at the batteries to starter and between the ECM and TCM. So the TCM is new but the engine ECM has not be reflashed or touched?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not remember if Freightliner flashed the ECM. But yes everything else is new.

Are there any codes logged in the engine ECM? I would inspect and clean all grounds and harness connections while installing dielectric grease to hunt for corrosion or damaged wiring. This sounds like an electrical issue. The TCM and ECM have to communicate with each other so thats why I was wondering if the engine ECM has any logged faults

Hi Jonathan, Just following up to see if you needed more help.