Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a 2005 freightliner with a cat c 15 and after

Customer Question

I have a 2005 freightliner with a cat c 15 and after cleaning the batteries the engine started fine and after a few seconds it stopped and will not start the yellow check engine light flashes constanty when the key is on
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

Since the check engine light is flashing. I would like to try and pull flash codes by using the cruise control switches. If you have never done this. Here is how.

Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.

Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the check engine light just stops flashing when the cruise switch is held and starts again when released
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am a red seal journeyman would you rather i call you and talk on the phone?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Yes we can talk. I'll send you the offer.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.