Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a question about the Volvo Coolant Level Sensor. Why

Customer Question

I have a question about the Volvo Coolant Level Sensor. Why was the design changed from Part No. 22229750 to Part No. 22564822? It appears that the Probe was made shorter. Can you explain why this was done?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

The reason is because the sensor kept pushing coolant through it, which got to the ECM and caused the ECM to be replaced.

Volvo engineers thought that the longer stem was getting moved easier from the coolant sloshing around when the vehicle was going down the road and causing it to loosen aroumd the probe giving coolant the accessbit needs to get in the wire sheeth.

Problem is, it still does it. Volvo never went back to the old omene for obviois reasons at that point for they spent thousands on the slight design changes to the sensor.

The old design was worse, but the issue still happens.

This is why on the 2015 and 2016 models, sensors are double sealed and there are now jumper harnesses on them imstead of plugging to the main harness.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Sir:I am having a lot of trouble understanding your reply. There are so many spelling errors that I am having difficulty understanding what you are saying. For instance, what is:1. omene (why is it obvious - I do not understand)
2. accessbitAlso, what does ECM mean?Does Part No.###-##-####have the double seals that you mention?Lastly, I still do not understand why the new Probe is shorter.Thank you for your additional assistance.Stephen Boyd
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I responded with my phone. Not sure why there were spelling errors. Auto correct must have messed it up.

The ECM is the Engine Control Module on the truck.

The reason for the shorter probe is because the coolant will slosh around when it is going down the road. The Volvo engineers thought a shorter probe would keep the sensor from cracking on the inside and allowing coolant into the harness, which would work its way to the engine computer and burn out the computer.

Picture a bolt, say a 5/8" head. Now you havea long breaker bar and a short ratchet. You try the short ratchet and you have to use a lot of force to move it. Now you use a long breaker bar and you use little force, right?

The probe is the same way with the water splashing in the tank. It's simple physics. Longer probe, easier for water to cause the probe to crack inside. Shorter probe harder for the water to cause the probe to crack. This is why the probe is shorter.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy