roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks
Experience:  Shop Froeman for Freightliner Trucks
3506196

I have a 2008 Motorhome with a Cummins ISL engine. We were

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2008 Motorhome with a Cummins ISL engine. We were just recently stranded in a parking lot in sounthern Cal, as it would not REGEN. We had to wait for a tech to come the next day and use their computer to force it to REGEN. We want to travel in this a lot and cannot risk being in the middle of nowhere and this happening again. I have looked at boring out the DPF filter. I have heard if you drill FORTY 3/8" Inch holes in it, that fixes it from ever wanting to REGEN as there is plenty of flow but still enough back pressure the ECM does not error. Any thoughts? Thanks
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

did he tell you the codes that were set???

the idea of drilling the holes will cause the check engine light to come on and will de rate the motor and eventually shut it down. there are inlet and outlet knock sensors that monitor the exhaust and there is what is called conversion that is monitored. if it is off then it will code and want you to get it fixed.

the solution is to have the codes checked, proper diagnostics done to find the failure and have it repaired so you can go on your travels without worry.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to get rid of the DPF all together. The codes were that it was too clogged to do a REGEN. He had to tell it that
we replaced the filter with a new one, just to get it to REGEN. We were lucky we made it to a parking lot. 4 miles back we were on a mountain pass...
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.

ok, it had a high soot level code.

you can have the system deleted but you need someone with the program to do it for you. some dealers will do it and some wont. check with some independent shops as well to see if they have the delete programs.

Roy

Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out????