Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a 2005freightliner Columbia with a 14 liter Detroit

Customer Question

I have a 2005freightliner Columbia with a 14 liter Detroit egr engine. I'm only getting 4.8 miles to the gallon
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Fuel mileage can be so many things...

Alignment is good? Ride height is good on the air bags? What about trailer, is it good? Alignment good? No scrubbing going on from dog legging?

EGR checks out good? There are no issues going on there? Turbo actuator adjusted properly? Good air getting to the vPOD with no moisture getting to it?

When computer is hooked up, are all your pressures good? No high counts above 116 on the Delta P sensor?

This list can get really long really quick, but these are what can affect fuel mileage right off and the most common.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all of these things were checked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also don't have good acceleration. don't pulls hills good at all
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like a EGR issue or a EGR cooler plugged issue. Maybe even the CAC.

Check a couple of things. On the intake, remove the baro and boost sensors. See if there is soot on them. clean them up with a small brush and some MAF cleaner. Put back on. Then cehck to see if he truck seems to boost up better. If not, then have the CAC pressure tested, the EGR cooler tested, and remove the EGR, soak it in mineral sprits, use a round 9mm gun brush (it fits perfect next to the rod) and clean the shaft on the EGR. Put back together and see if you get your power back.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any more assistance with this question? You can close it on your end if completed and return later if needed. Thanks.