Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I put in a new dpf filter and sensors and it will not regene

Customer Question

I put in a new dpf filter and sensors and it will not regene I also put the shm in and it still won't regene
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

What is the year, make, model, and engine of the vehicle?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2009 freightliner Cascadia 125
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Are you getting any codes at all on this engine? There should be a code for why the regen is failing?

Which engine do you have, the DD or the Series 60?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
l6,14.ol {855 cid } the only code that keeps coming up is soot level to high
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
60 series
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I see what is wrong now. When you did the dpf filter change, did you do the "dpf maintenance reset" on the computer? Whenthe dpf filter gets changed out, this has to be triggered or what will happen is the regen will show the soot level high, but the filter really isn't high. The pressure on the sensor is showing that the filter is normal, but the old info for the old filter still remains.

If you have the program, go into it and in the tools section, you will see the "dpf filter" section, click it and you get another menu for "soot level reset" and "reset dpf filer maintenance." Do those and the truck will regen normally again.

I determined this based on the repairs you have and the only code you have is the soot level high code. You don't have other codes indicating a regen failure. Basically the computer is confused and you have to get its attention to tell it there is a change that was made. So each time it reads thae higher pressure from a filter not so dirty, it thinks it is still in the exceeded range and wants a computer to force the regen on the truck instead of allowing you to do it through the dash, in turn failing the regen because it thinks the filter is burnt up when you really have a new one in there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already did that got the number off new filter in enter it
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

You did both the rests and you still get a fail with no codes? What if you do a forced regen with the laptop, does it take or does it still fail?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forced regen didn't work
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

With no failure codes? What exactly does it do when you do the forced regen on the computer? I need to know what the truck does as well as what you get on the computer.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

What program are you using? I need that as well so I can guide you on how to get around it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a doc outlet temperature high code now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Code # ***** soot. # ***** doc outlet
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

The DOC shouldn't prevent a regen unless the sensor is not connected and reading or there is a bad harness. You stated you did the sensors so that is ruled out.

The regen should still have started, and then errored out a couple minutes after it starts for it is in prep mode getting the truck ready for the regen. If it fails instantly, then there is an issue with the harness, the module for the regen system, or the turbo which is usually the actuator not moving the vanes to their proper location to get the pressure up high. I doubt it is the turbo for you have no vPOD codes and no power issues that you complained of.

When old filter was swapped, were there signs of engine issues like coolant or oil on the filter?

CLICK HERE for the info on code 3250

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

If there were signs of engine issues like coolant or oil, that can cause the regen to fail and the DOC code to come up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will get back on this Monday
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I'll be here all day Monday.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any more assistance with this question? You can close it on your end if completed and return later if needed. Thanks.